Add these winter home maintenance tasks to your to-do list.
Now that winter is approaching, many are pulling out their thick sweaters and holiday decorations. With the Washington temperatures dropping, it’s time for homeowners to complete some winter home maintenance tasks!
Here’s how to get started:
- Get the furnace checked and services by a licensed contractor at least once a year, before the heating season begins.
- Clean or replace the furnace filter on forced hot air systems.
- Get the fuel tanks filled and keep an eye on the levels throughout the winter.
- Set your heat to no lower than 55 degrees as the temperature inside the walls where water piping is located is colder than the living spaces.
- Add extra insulation in the attic to prevent ice dams. If too much heat escapes through the roof, it can warm the ice and snow on the roof. When this happens, the roof refreezes, causing an ice dam and damaging the roof.
- Add weather stripping around the doors and caulk the windows to guard against drafts and heat loss.
- Ensure you have snow shovels, snow chains for the car, and a snow blower should your area face heavy snowfall.
- Keep fuel for snow blowers in safety containers.
- Restock your home emergency kit so that you’re ready for any disaster.
While you prepare your home for the winter months and holiday parties, take the time to review your homeowners insurance. Coverage keeps your home safe through the winter and beyond! Visit the professionals at Humble & Davenport Insurance, serving Renton and neighboring cities in Washington.