Home Insurance Natural Disaster Guide
When you’re looking for home insurance in Renton, WA, you want to know that you’re getting the right policy that protects your property. Naturally, you will want to ensure that the policy covers a wide variety of accidents and disasters. To help you better understand which disasters are covered by home insurance, read on.
What type of disasters are covered?
Standard home insurance provides coverage for the following perils:
- Damage caused by aircraft
- Damage caused by vehicles
Which disasters may not be covered?
Generally, the following are excluded from coverage:
- While water damage is often covered in a standard home policy, flood damage is not. You are able to obtain flood coverage from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and from a few private insurers to ensure that your property has protection against floods.
- Sewer Backup. Sewer backups are not covered under a typical home insurance policy, nor are they covered by flood insurance. This type of protection must be purchased either as a separate product or as an endorsement to a homeowners policy.
- Maintenance Damage. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to take reasonable precautions to protect a home from damage. Your home insurance will not cover repairs when they are caused by general wear and tear or lack of maintenance.