Try This Soup Recipe for National Soup Month
Winter is the ideal time to make a big batch of soup for the cooler days ahead. Whether you’re on a strict diet or not, this lentil and herb soup is perfect! One-pot meals that cook slowly are quick to make, quick to clean up, but deliver delicious dishes! This soup recipe is easy to eat and gentle on the digestion. Lentils are a powerhouse of nutrition, too! They are a great source of protein, potassium, zinc, vitamin K, calcium, fiber, folate, and iron. They are incredibly cheap to buy, making this an ideal recipe to incorporate into your weekly dinners.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- ½ leek, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 650ml fresh vegetable stock
- 200g puy lentils
- Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Add the rosemary, thyme, onion, carrot, celery and leek, then cover and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the garlic, chilli flakes, stock and lentils. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer on a low heat for around 25 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Pour about one third of the soup into a blender and whizz, then stir back into the soup. Add the chopped parsley and lemon juice, taste and season generously with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the sprigs of rosemary and thyme. If you prefer a thinner consistency add a little hot water, then serve.
The team at Humble & Davenport Insurance hope that you enjoyed this warming soup recipe! For all of your insurance needs this January, contact us today.