Although the best thing you can do to protect yourself and others from catching the flu and the coronavirus is to wash your hands thoroughly, some foods can help boost your health and immunity. During this time when many businesses are reopening and people are returning to work, it is important that your immune system is working at its best to fight off viruses. Fortunately, some foods can help!
Cold and Flu-Fighting Foods to Boost Your Immune System
- Oranges – Oranges are packed with vitamin C, an essential nutrient when you’re feeling under the weather. This vitamin is helpful in preventing the common cold and can help lower the duration and severity of a cold.
- Fresh garlic – This strong-smelling food can help stamp out sickness thanks to the phytochemical allicin, an antimicrobial compound. Start cooking with it daily – Experts recommend two fresh cloves a day.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are filled with antioxidants that can help treat and prevent coughs and colds. The flavonoids, a class of antioxidants found in blueberries, are great for stopping a cold in its tracks.
- Green tea – Green tea contains flavonoids, an antioxidant that boosts immunity, and has anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have found that the antioxidant catechin, which is heavily prevalent in green tea, is known to be a powerful antibacterial and antiviral and can kill off cold-starting bacteria and the influenza virus.
- Sweet potato – Beta-carotene improves your body’s defenses and is essential in the growth of immune system cells. Sweet potatoes are full of these beta-carotene nutrients.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is known as a wonderful herb because of the anti-inflammatory properties and helps to fight infections.
- Mushrooms – Mushrooms are a major source of immune-busting zinc. They also contain vitamin D, which can help keep your immune system strong.
Start to incorporate more of these foods into your daily diet for an improved immune system. Remember to eat well, exercise often, get enough sleep, and keep stress in check to help your immunity, too. For all of your personal and commercial insurance needs, contact the team at Humble & Davenport Insurance.