Create a safe house and eliminate the risk of these safety hazards around your home.
Creating a safe house makes it so that your family can grow and thrive on a daily basis. While you may do your part of locking the doors every night and changing the batteries in the fire alarm when needed, there are more common hazards that lurk around a house. Check out these safety hazards around your home and learn how to keep your family safe with simple solutions.
Injuries from falls are the most common household hazard. In fact, one out of five older adults who fall suffer from a broken bone or head injury. Bad lighting, scattered toys, and slippery surfaces all create the potential for falls. Make sure that you stay on top of household cleaning and tidying so that your loved ones stay safe.
- Clear outdoor steps, ensuring they are free from debris, ice, and snow. Add secured mats or grip tape to make surfaces less slippery.
- Use rugs and non-slip stickers in the bathroom.
- Stow away the children’s and pet’s toys when they are not in use.
Hundreds of thousands of fires occur in U.S. homes every year, causing everything from milk smoke damage to complete devastation, including deaths. Luckily, there are ways to prevent a fire from getting out of hand.
- Install fire alarms and change their batteries often
- Monitor candles by never leaving them unattended or in reach of children or pets
- Unplug appliances when not in use
- Purchase a fire extinguisher
- Read up on our fireplace safety tips for your home’s fireplace
Low exposure to carbon monoxide can cause headaches and dizziness, while high levels cause vomiting, distorted vision, and even death. Control your risk of CO poisoning:
- Install a CO detector and test the batteries often
- Keep up home maintenance by inspecting for CO leaks from your HVAC system, water heater, and other appliances that use oil, gas, or coal.
The professionals at Humble & Davenport Insurance believe that your home should be protected year-round from an abundance of risks. While you maintain your home, call us for the right homeowners insurance policy in Renton, Washington.