Start your Thanksgiving with this tasty appetizer recipe.
Everyone knows that the turkey is the main event when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner, but that does not mean you have to put up with other dishes that are lacking. Keep this delicious Thanksgiving recipe in mind to get your holiday started off right.
Crostini with Roasted Butternut Squash, Ricotta, and Preserved Lemon
- 1 ½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into small cubes
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, cut into 24 slices
- ½ preserved lemon, rind only, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 cup fine quality ricotta
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread the squash on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 50 minutes, or until tender and the edges are crisp, tossing once halfway through.
- 15 minutes before the squash is done, arrange on the baguette slices on another baking sheet and brush with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake until toasted and golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, make the relish. Stir together the preserved lemon rind, shallots, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread each crostini with ricotta. Top with a few pieces of butternut squash and a small amount of relish. Arrange on a serving platter and garnish with the rest of the parsley.
All of us at Humble & Davenport in Renton, Washington would like to wish you and your family a happy Thanksgiving!