Winter roads can be very dangerous if you do not take the right safety precautions.
The first official day of winter is just over two weeks away, which means colder temperatures and severe weather. Since there is no way to completely avoid going out into the cold, taking the time to ensure that you know how to stay safe on the roads is vital. Keep these safe winter driving tips in mind to get to all of your destinations safely.
- Do not get behind the wheel if you are tired. Being properly rested will help to ensure that you are alert while driving.
- Do not warm up your vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage. Deadly carbon monoxide can build up in a matter of minutes, leading to disaster.
- Check your tire pressure and tread every couple of weeks to ensure that they are at safe levels.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full at all times to prevent the gas line from freezing up and to keep you warm in case you breakdown.
- Try to avoid using your parking brake in cold, rainy weather to prevent it from freezing up.
- Do not use cruise control when the ground is wet since you will not have as much control over your vehicle.
- Always buckle your seatbelt when you get into your car, even if you are headed to the end of the road. Your chances of being seriously injured or dying dramatically decrease when you wear your seatbelt.
- If you start to hydroplane, do not slam on your brakes. Instead, continue steering in the direction that you want to go and simply let your foot off the brake.
Having the right auto insurance policy in place will help to keep you protected on the roads this winter. Contact Humble & Davenport Insurance in Renton, Washington for all of your car insurance needs.