A tire blowout can happen anywhere and at any time, and it can be a scary event. It’s possible to handle an event like this safely and without jeopardizing the safety of you and those around you by staying calm. Just because your tire is a loss does not mean you lose control of the vehicle. There are still three other tires that the car is rolling on, allowing you to steer and brake in order to get out of the way of traffic. Following are steps to take when a tire blowout happens to you:
- Don’t panic if you can at all help it.
- Turn on your hazards if you are able to. If not, signal a direction so you can get off the road more easily.
- Grip the wheel with both hands to maintain control of the car.
- Ease off the accelerator. Don’t immediately drop the gas as this can destabilize the car.
- Identify a safe location in which to pull over to.
- Ease on the brakes as you decelerate towards your chosen place to stop.
Once you are at your chosen spot, put the car in park and assess the situation further.