These fireplace safety tips will help to keep your home cozy and safe throughout the winter.
What’s better than cozying around a warm fire with the family in winter? With the temperatures dropping in Renton, now is the time to do some prep work before stoking up the first fire of the year. So that your home is safe throughout the cooler season, be sure to follow these fireplace safety tips.
Keep it clean:
- Have your chimney, fireplace, wood, or pellet stove inspected and cleaned by a licensed chimney specialist. They should be maintained annually.
- Keep the area around the hearth clear of debris, decorations, and combustible materials.
Keep fires burning safely:
- When starting a fire, only use a match or commercial lighter. Never start it with flammable liquids.
- Only use dry wood in your fireplace. Wet wood can increase creosote building, which can lead to chimney fires.
- Never leave a fire unattended!
- Never burn a Christmas tree in your fireplace as the sparks from the burning needle can increase the risk of a chimney fire.
- Never burn plastic in the fireplace. It can release toxic chemicals and cause damage to your chimney, fireplace, or wood stove.
- Make your winter even safer, take the time to test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. These alarms can save your home and family from injury and damage.
The professionals at Humble & Davenport Insurance believe that your home should be protected year round from the risk of fires. While you can protect your home with these fireplace safety tips, call us for the right homeowners insurance policy in Renton, Washington.