As a parent, having a teen driver in the family can be a scary and expensive time! If you have added a teen driver to your auto insurance policy, you are not stranger to the steep premium increase. Buying the right vehicle for your teen can help keep the cost of your auto insurance low, while also keeping them safe on the road.
When looking for the right vehicle for your teen, there are four main aspects of the vehicle to look at, which include:
- Avoid high horsepower. Having a vehicle with a powerful engine is enough to tempt teens to push the car to its limits.
- Look for big, heavy vehicles. SUVs will better protect the driver and passengers than a small vehicle, in the event of an accident.
- Do not skip on electronic stability control. Electronic stability control, or ESC helps the driver maintain control of the car on slippery and curving roads.
- Check the safety rating. When looking for the right vehicle, make sure to check the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration safety rating.
Looking at all aspects of a vehicle is the best way to be sure that your teen will stay safe on the road. Consider these top 10 safest used mid-sized vehicles for teen drivers, when looking for the right car.
- Toyota Prius, model years 2012 and later.
- Mercedes Benz C-Class sedan, model year 2009 and later.
- Honda Accord sedan, model year 2012 and later.
- Audi A4, model year 2009 and later.
- Toyota Camry, model year 2012 and later.
- Buick Verano, model year 2012 and later.
- Subaru Outback, model year 2010 and later.
- Lincoln MKZ, model year 2010 and later, built after April 2010.
- Kia Optima, model year 2011 and later.
- Hyundai Sonata, model year 2011 and later.
Having the right auto insurance policy is the best way to ensure that your teen stays safe on the road. Contact Humble & Davenport Insurance in Renton, Washington for all of your auto insurance needs.